Unless you are really looking for a cheap, down to earth slow computer, you should consider building your own pc. It used to be a difficult gig, but things have changed quite a lot. You have well written articles, self help videos and a huge community of builders to help you. All for free. I’ve seen a lot of people shying away from building their own computer. Common reasons:
- What about the warranty?
- I don’t have time to assemble.
- I don’t have time to research and order the right parts.
- I think I lack the knowledge.
Now here’s why I think we (you, me, and other freaks) should build our own computer:
- Each part has its own manufacturer warranty
- Branded computers come with cheap parts
- Branded computers come with unnecessary hardware and software that will make the slow system run even slower.
- Save hundreds of dollars
- If you are too busy to do research, visit anandtech.com and grab some of their already put together configurations.
- No time to assemble? Ask your kid to do it, or spouse.
- After building your own computer, you get to brag about it in front of friends, colleagues, and blondes
So, assuming you are willing to give a try, here are the steps you can follow:
- Check out anandtech.com for some pre configured machine specs. This will give you clear idea
- If you decided to do your own config, start by posting in anandtech forums about your ideal comp. Heres a good place to start
- Take people’s advice on forums for right brands and specs under your budget
- Compare prices. Try NewEgg, TigerDirect, ZipZoomFly
- Order and start reading about how to build a computer
- Watch this video series
- Build your own and enjoy!
If you have any problem, post it on anandtech forums. Try at your onw risk 😉