My client reported to me that his Joomla site has been marked as malware by Google and in Firefox and Chrome the users are alerted to avoid visiting the site. At first I assumed someone might have flagged the site as malware just to have fun or out of curiosity. But I still went ahead and did my little detective work and learned that a malicious user might actually have posted something creepy in the forums or in comments. After regorus searching through the database for scripts for hours I couldn’t come up with any. Then I researched a little more about the problem and learned that hackers are finding ways of inserting an iframe content on popular cmses like joomla, wordpress and drupal with ease. So my next step was to download the whole site on my local computer and do full directory scan for keyword “iframe”. Turns out, there where plenty of instances, most of them were pure hidden iframes to some malicious urls.
One at a time I removed them and then uploaded the files back. I then requested a review in Google Webmaster Tools and the next day… voila… the site was back normal.
The lesson I learned was to insist my clients to keep their sites up to date on software upgrades and backup daily.
At the end I felt quite happy to knock this one down.
With no clear indication on how difficult this could be, I went ahead and started moving a drupal site to a different server (on a different domain). I first followed the standard procedure that I do in Joomla. That is, getting all the files to my local, exporting the databases from phpmyadmin to my local and uploading the files to new server and importing the database to the new server and finally, changing the configuration settings (settings.php in drupal). Turns out that, thats how actually it is done in drupal too but depending on the intial site setup it could be really troublesome for few to figure out the right settings and permissions.
After working on a simple move for more than an hour, I finally realized that the old drupal site was using clean urls and inorder for it to work on new server I must change the .htaccess file to map to new domain. Well that makes sense. So for someone who plans to do that now or in future, here are the quick steps:
If you get stuck anywhere dont hessitate to comment.
- Use any ftp client to download all the files (usuall all the files and folders under public_html folder) to your local.
- Use phpmyadmin (or any compatible client for database) to select and export out all the tables (just tables, dont export out the database).
- On your new server, create a new database and user (and of course map it to the database). Make note of database connection settings.
- Again use phpmyadmin (or equivalent client for db) to import the downloaded tables to this newly created database.
- Use ftp upload all the downloaded files and folders to the new server (keep the directory hirarchy as is).
- Edit /public_html/sites/default/settings.php file to include new database connection strings
- Optional (if you used clean urls on old site): Edit .htaccess file in /public_html/ folder to include new domain name.
Thats it. couple of steps and the site is totally on the new server and domain. This is a good practice for people who first load the site on test server then want to move to deployment server after completion. But anyways, if you need any assistance, do let me know.
I spent few hours in getting my hands on Drupal for a new idea I had with a site for Freelance Job Feeds. Before I talk about the site, let me tell you, Drupal is a lot different than any other CMSes (especially Joomla). Although I am new to Drupal, going around it was too time taking than I thought. But the modules I used for the purpose of this site were actually a great fit.
Coming back to the site I just made. You can look at it here: Freelance Job Postings
The site is totally made in Drupal with major work involving with module Feed Aggregator. The site is built on a simple logic, all freelance job postings under one roof. I got RSS and Atom Feeds linked in to the site to provide real time job postings from sites like ifreelance.com, getafreelancer, elance.com, getacoder, rentacoder.com etc. Over the next few days I plan to spend some more time on design, layouts and better feed integration. Hopefully this site will benefit someone.
I am a Joomla lover. Been working a lot on Joomla and really love it. Although it may not be as flexible as Drupal (in terms of coding/programming,as I heard) but it surely is a winner when it comes to no. of quality themes, components, and modules, the community provides.
Today, I was trying to work on one of my personal Drupal project with a user based review engine. Like I do with Joomla projects, I started searching for Review Modules for Drupal. Will, I did find some of them but they are all very basic and nothing in comparison to what Joomla’s review components such as JReviews, xtdratings, etc has to offer. Ok, I understand that these Joomla components arent Free but common, I was expecting a lot from Drupal. I found some simple modules and some very simple modules. I am not sure how happy I will be using them but I know they doesn’t have the necessary features I am looking for, yet. Anyways, I just started working with Drupal so I suppose it would take considerable time for me to get to know the software properly before proceeding. But as said earlier, better be commercial but there is need for a better Drupal Review Module.
PS: You can checkout NodeReview and UserReview Modules for Drupal.